With more and more people making the switch to veganism, the number of vegan haircare brands and products hitting the shelves is also on the rise. From vegan shampoos and conditioners to cruelty-free hair masks and dyes, the world of vegan hair care can be overwhelming. Which products actually work? Which ingredients should you avoid? Are vegan hair products actually good for you? We have the answers to these questions and more.
The benefits of vegan haircare products (besides not harming animals!)
In addition to environmental and ethical benefits, vegan hair products can also improve the health and appearance of your hair. Some of the benefits of vegan hair care products include:
- Fewer nasty chemicals and additives. Vegan hair products are less likely to contain harsh chemicals such as parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) that can damage your hair. Parabens are a type of preservative that can damage your hair, while SLS has been linked to hair loss and even blindness in children. Always read the label before buying hair products.
- Natural ingredients. Ingredients derived from plants that are common in vegan hair products, such as natural oils and minerals, are nourishing and don’t strip away your hair’s natural oils. They are also naturally scented, meaning that you’re not washing your hair with artificial fragrances and chemicals.
- Environmentally friendly packaging. Vegan hair products are often bottled with environmentally friendly and recyclable packaging, meaning you can enjoy beautiful and healthy hair, and lower your carbon footprint at the same time. Shampoo bars are also becoming more popular due to their low environmental impact. These are often kept in metal cases, removing the need for plastic bottles and waste all together.
Ingredients to avoid
Vegan and cruelty-free hair products have no animal derivatives of any kind and are not tested on animals. In addition to animal products, there are some ingredients that should be avoided for happy and healthy hair.
- Parabens. Parabens are often included in shampoos as a preservative. In addition to damaging your hair, these can also disrupt your hormones and can lead to more serious health conditions.
- Fragrance. Artificial fragrances can be made from a number of different chemicals that can be damaging to your hair as well as your skin. Avoid products that are artificially scented.
- Sulphates. Sulphates are designed to remove oil and dirt from your hair, however they can also strip the natural oils from your scalp that keep your hair moisturised and healthy. Look instead for natural, plant-based ingredients such as coconut, argan or jojoba oil.
The best vegan shampoo and conditioner
There is a huge range of vegan shampoo and conditioner options available in salons, chemists, supermarkets and online. They range in price, quality and hair benefits, which can make it difficult to decide between different brands and products.
If you’re looking for a quality shampoo and conditioner that is readily available in supermarkets and chemists, Sukin has a great range of natural hair products for all different hair types. Sukin has an emphasis on natural products and ingredients that your hair will thank you for.
For a salon-quality vegan shampoo and conditioner, Everescents is a great choice. This family-owned brand focuses on natural and organic ingredients with a luxurious feel. Their products are available online or in select hair salons.
Vegan shampoo bars
If you’re looking for an even more environmentally friendly option, then shampoo bars may be right for you. These solid products are becoming more and more popular due to their plastic-free packaging. In addition to lowering your carbon footprint, these bars may also benefit your wallet. Each bar can last between 80-100 washes, which is the equivalent of three 250g bottles of liquid shampoo. Both Lush Australia and Ethique have a great range of vegan shampoo and conditioner bars.
Vegan hair masks for luscious locks
While vegan shampoos and conditioners are generally more nourishing, hair masks are a great way to amplify the benefits of your hair care products. Using a hair mask once a week can help you achieve shinier, stronger and healthier hair.
Georgie Mane offers a 10-minute hair mask for all hair types that repairs dry and damaged hair and promotes healthier, thicker growth. This Australian made product is 100% vegan and cruelty-free, and so easy to use.
Another popular hair mask is the Like A Virgin Hair Masque from Coco & Eve. This nourishing mask is also free from animal products and harsh chemicals and is particularly beneficial for frizzy or curly hair.
Where to buy cruelty-free hair dye
Dying your hair from home, particularly with a new brand, can be difficult and risky. However, there are a number of vegan hair dyes available that are easy to use and won’t damage your hair. Whether you’re looking for a natural shade or a more out-there colour, there is something available for you.
Vegan hair dyes are often made using henna, which is a natural colourant derived from the henna plant. Lush Australia has a range of vegan henna hair dyes that are great for achieving a natural-looking colour.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for bold, bright colours, Lime Crime Unicorn Hair is the way to go. These dyes are vegan-friendly and ultra-conditioning, so you can enjoy vibrant, healthy locks without damaging your hair or the environment.
If you’re unsure about doing your own dye job, you can always contact your local hair salons and enquire about whether or not they use vegan hair dyes.
What to know before buying vegan hair products
Vegan and cruelty-free hair care can be overwhelming. With so many different products and so much choice, how do you know which products actually work? Make sure you always read the labels and look out for nasty and harmful ingredients. Research the products online before you buy, and find products with positive reviews. Most importantly, find a product that works for you and makes your hair feel healthy and beautiful.